Resetting a TP-Link Tapo smart bulb is typically done when you want to remove it from your existing smart home network or if you encounter issues with the bulb’s connectivity. Here’s how to reset a TP-Link Tapo Wifi smart bulb:
Method 1: Soft Reset (via Tapo App)
- Ensure the TP-Link Tapo smart bulb is plugged in and powered on.
- Open the “Tapo” app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Make sure your mobile device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network that the smart bulb is connected to.
- In the Tapo app, navigate to the device list, where your Tapo smart bulb is listed.
- Tap on the smart bulb’s name to access its settings.
- Click for the option to “Remove Device,” “Reset Device,” or “Delete Device.”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm the reset process.
- This usually involves holding down the power button or following a specific sequence of button presses on the smart bulb.
- Once the reset is complete, the smart bulb will blink to indicate that it’s ready for setup.
- You can then reconfigure it as a new device in the Tapo app.
Method 2: Hard Reset (Physical Button Press)
If you’re unable to reset the TP-Link Tapo wifi smart bulb using the app or if it’s not responding, you can perform a hard reset using the physical buttons on the bulb:
- Turn on the TP-Link Tapo smart bulb if it’s not already on.
- Wait for the bulb to cycle through its color-changing sequences.
- This may take a few seconds.
- After the bulb has gone through its color cycle, turn the bulb off and on quickly using the physical switch or power source.
- Do this three to five times in quick succession (turn off and on, off and on, etc.).
- After the series of on/off cycles, the bulb will flash to indicate a reset.
- Now, you can reconfigure the bulb as a new device in the Tapo app.
After resetting the smart bulb, you’ll need to set it up again in the Tapo app, connect it to your Wi-Fi network, and configure any desired settings or automation routines.