The Google Clock app has recently undergone a redesign for its weather forecast feature, specifically for alarms. This update, which was introduced earlier this year, adds a new design for the weather forecasts that appear after you dismiss an alarm on Google Pixel phones. Originally, the weather forecast was displayed as a block of text with an icon showing the current conditions next to the temperature.
The redesigned interface, exclusive to Google’s Pixel devices, now animates delightfully. Upon dismissing the alarm, the current weather conditions and temperature are shown in a circle at the top left of the screen. Following this, another shape slides in from the bottom right, revealing the day’s forecasted weather, including high and low temperatures. This redesign makes the UI more glanceable and fitting with Google’s Pixel design language. However, it’s noted that this new UI shows less information than before, now only displaying the day’s forecast instead of both the current and following day.
This feature seems to be a part of the December 2023 Feature Drop and Android 14 QPR1, and it is influenced by the Google Weather app on Pixels. The update makes the weather information more easily readable, especially first thing in the morning, which could be a welcome change for users.
How to use Google Clock’s weather forecasts and alarm
To use Google Clock’s weather forecasts along with the alarm feature, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Clock App: First, make sure you have the Google Clock app installed on your Android device.
- Set an Alarm: Once in the app, go to the ‘Alarm’ tab and set a new alarm by tapping on the ‘+’ button. Configure the time and other settings as per your preference.
- Enable Weather Forecast Feature: In the alarm settings, look for an option to enable the weather forecast. This might be a toggle or an additional setting within the alarm.
- Save the Alarm: After setting the alarm and enabling the weather forecast feature, save the alarm.
- Dismissing the Alarm and Viewing the Weather Forecast: When your alarm goes off, you will need to dismiss it as you normally would. Once dismissed, the weather forecast should automatically appear on your screen. This forecast is powered by the Google Weather app and should show the current conditions and temperature, along with a brief outlook for the day.
- Interacting with the Forecast: You can view the weather information, and there might be an option to dismiss the forecast once you have viewed it.
It’s important to note that this feature is available exclusively on Google Pixel devices and relies on the Google Weather app. The actual steps and availability may vary based on the device model and software version.
If you’re using a Pixel device and have the latest updates installed, this feature should be available to you.