Google Messages supported RCS (Rich Communication Services) Chat, which offers enhanced messaging features beyond traditional SMS. However, the availability and features of RCS may vary by country, carrier, and device. To enable, disable, and use RCS Chat in Google Messages, follow these general steps:
Note: Make sure you have the Google Messages app installed and set as your default SMS app on enable disable RCS Chat in Android device.
Enabling RCS Chat in Google Messages:
Open Google Messages:
- Open the Google Messages app on your Android device.
Check for RCS Support:
- Google Messages will typically prompt you to enable RCS Chat if your carrier and device support it. If you don’t see this prompt, follow these steps:
a. Tap the three horizontal lines (hamburger menu) in the top-left corner of the app to open the menu.
b. Select “Settings.”
c. Tap “Chat features.”
d. Tap “Enable chat features” if available.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enable RCS Chat.
Verify Your Phone Number:
- You may need to verify your phone number to enable RCS Chat. Google Messages will send a verification code to your number for this purpose.
Set Up RCS Features:
- Once enabled, you can set up various RCS Chat features, such as read receipts, typing indicators, and the ability to send high-quality media.
Disabling RCS Chat in Google Messages:
If you want to disable RCS Chat for any reason, you can do so by following these steps:
- Open the Google Messages app.
- Tap the three horizontal lines (hamburger menu) in the top-left corner of the app to open the menu.
- Select “Settings.”
- Tap “Chat features.”
- Click off “Enable chat features” to disable RCS Chat.
Using RCS Chat in Google Messages:
Once RCS Chat is enabled, you can use it to send and receive messages with enhanced features:
- Compose a message as usual in Google Messages.
- You can see when the recipient is typing (typing indicator) and when the message has been delivered and read (read receipts).
- RCS Chat allows you to send high-quality photos and videos without compression.
- You can create and participate in group chats with other RCS Chat users.
- RCS Chat may support additional features like group messaging, message reactions, and more, depending on your carrier and device.
RCS Chat availability can vary, and both you and the recipient need to have RCS-enabled devices and compatible carriers for full functionality. If you encounter any issues or don’t see the chat features in your settings, it’s possible that they are not available in your region or through your carrier.