If your iPhone’s touchscreen is unresponsive or not working properly, there are several steps you can try to fix the issue. Here’s a step-by-step guide to fix a unresponsive iPhone touchscreen:
How to fix a unresponsive iPhone touchscreen
Restart your iPhone:
- Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor software glitches causing the touchscreen to become unresponsive. To restart your iPhone:
- For iPhone 8 and earlier: Press and hold the power button (top or side) until the slider appears. Press the slider to turn off your device, and then press and hold the power button continuesly until the Apple logo appears.
Check for physical damage:
- Examine your iPhone’s screen for any physical damage, cracks, or moisture. If you find any, the touchscreen issue might be related to the damage, and you may need to get your device repaired by Apple or a certified technician.
Clean the screen and your fingers:
- Sometimes, unresponsiveness can occur due to dirt, oil, or debris on the screen or on your fingers. Clean the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth, and make sure your fingers are clean and dry.
Remove screen protector or case:
- If you have a screen protector or a case on your iPhone, it might be interfering with the touchscreen’s sensitivity. Try removing them and see if the touchscreen works properly without them.
- Outdated software can sometimes cause touchscreen issues. Check your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Then go and check for the updates, first go to Settings > General > Check Software Update.
Force restart (hard reset):
- If a normal restart doesn’t work, you can try a force restart, which is a more thorough reboot that can help resolve software-related problems. The method varies depending on iPhone models. Refer to Apple’s or your iPhone’s user manual for specific instructions.
Restore your iPhone:
- If the touchscreen issue persists, you can try restoring your iPhone to factory settings using iTunes (on a computer) or via iCloud. Be sure to back up your data before doing this, as it will erase all content on your device.
- Connect your iPhone to a computer, open iTunes (or Finder on macOS Catalina and later), and select your device. Click and “Restore”.
- For iCloud: First Go to the Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This will erasing all your iPhone and restore it to factory settings.
Remember to back up your data before attempting any significant troubleshooting or restoring your device, as data loss may occur during the process.